This past Monday (July 4th) we had a group of Watermarkers gather together to serve the city of Ferrysburg. We helped with the 4th of July picnic. The city puts on a free family-friendly fun party to celebrate. They were calling for volunteers and a Watermarker saw the need and rallied a bunch of us to help. We had a blast and we had an opportunity to be a blessing to the organizers.
I personally found my heart come alive in the midst of the serving. I had the privilege of hanging out with Jeremy Hower and helping kids with the bounce house. Here are some of the reasons my heart came alive through this serving experience:
- This was organized and championed by a Watermarker who is not on our staff team. She heard about the need and led the charge and did an amazing job communicating and organizing! Way to go Christine!!!
- We didn’t dream up our own event, we simply added willing hands and good attitudes to an existing event in need of volunteers. The organizers of the event are great people and it was a joy to work alongside them.
- I had a lot of great opportunities to meet all kinds of new people and chat. As an extrovert this filled up by batteries. As a missionary to West Michigan it was a reminder of all the different people in our community we are summoned to love in Jesus’ name.
- This serve event took place in the community that we are starting another Watermark gathering site. We already have people living and working there, but I was thankful to practically serve and connect with more people in the community before starting any gatherings there. It gave me greater passion to join other churches in seeing people experience life with Jesus.
- Everyone had a great attitude. I was so proud of all those who participated! We wore t-shirts that said, “sent on mission”, but I was more thankful that I saw people lovingly living it out.
- I got to see my kids jump in and serve. I desire for my family to be people who look to help others and not merely look at ourselves. This opportunity sparked conversations in our family about what we value, why we serve, and being the presence of Jesus.
So I thank God for the chance to participate in a small way to His big Kingdom movement and I thank Him for breathing joy into my heart. I pray God will keep my eyes and heart open to the moments He brings me to serve others.
How about you? Where might you have an opportunity to join in and discover the joy of serving others?