Being an apprentice of Jesus means taking on the role of a servant. So, how can we get started in being on God’s mission through serving in our context? What can we practically do today to show God’s love with no strings attached?
Sandi, a woman from our faith family, would bring joy as she served the under-resourced in the Laundry Hub (place for folks to do their laundry for free) by bringing milkshakes for everyone. She had a milkshake ministry and when she arrived people smiled. Maybe someday Jesus will say to Sandi, (like Matthew 25 says,)
“Sandi, people in the Laundry Hub were having a rough day, but you took the time to buy them a milkshake and make them smile. Whatever you did for them, you really did for me. Well done. PS – I like Strawberry best.”
Here are some small things we can do with great love to help bring change to the world:
- Buy a stranger’s cup of coffee.
- Help someone with their yard work or home project.
- Send an encouraging note to someone who may often go unnoticed.
- Invite a neighbor over for a meal or coffee.
- Invite someone sitting alone at a lunch table to sit with you.
- Take a day and look for opportunities to ask, “How can I help?”
- Choose to pray for someone regularly.
- Call your faith community, school, or community organization as ask where you can serve.
- Really listen to someone and understand without having to blurt out your thoughts.
- Forgive someone.
- Clean up an area that isn’t your responsibility.
- Give something away.
- When you hear of a practical need – seek to meet it.
What practical ideas do you have to practically be a blessing?