Here are some random things I’m thinking about:
- Justin Verlander threw a no-hitter! That makes me very happy and this happiness will last until they lose next. I need medication for the mood swings that the Tigers put me on.
- I get more nervous for my kids playing a sport than I ever did as a player. I also find it harder to be a good sport as a parent. All of a sudden I have compassion for the dad that fights the opposing team’s parents. Again, medication is in order.
- I’m thankful for the moms in my life. My mom, Gayle, is an outstanding mother who was very sacrificial and nurturing. My wife, is a phenominal mother who does a remarkable job caring for and loving our four kids.
- I’m also thankful for Misgana’s mother who we also remember this weekend. Without her we would not have our little Miss.
- Tomorrow I have the opportunity to teach alongside Dr. Peter Newhouse again. Pete is a great friend and has a lot of wisdom. We always have fun planning these times and I hope that tomorrow’s topic of forgiveness will be a healing experience for many.
- I believe that Jesus does change lives. He doesn’t just improve them or merely give a good example to follow – He changes lives.
- 95% of the music I listen to regularly is alternative/progressive music from the 80’s. Now I understand my dad with the Beattles and Stones.
- A quote I found this week: “Wherever there is fear, there is opportunity. Wherever there is great fear, there is great opportunity.” – Andy Stanley.
- Our Haiti Team will be flying home very very late tomorrow! So excited to hear what they experienced and how God moved in their lives!
- Thanks to all who supported and prayed for a family from our faith family who experienced a devastating loss. Every life touches lives. Every life is valuable. Every life is sacred. I was reminded to make sure every person knows that.
Have a great start to your Mother’s Day tomorrow!
Jody, me, and Lisa enjoying "Snack Time" as kids.
I think I’m going to take Saturdays and just spit out random things I’m thinking about…
So, let’s get started:
- The Detroit Tigers are finally winning and this makes me happy. I wrap way too much of my emotional well being into the Tigers. Who’s your Tiger?
- I’ve been reading the story of Jesus and asking, “How can I believe and behave like Jesus?”
- Tomorrow I’m closing out the “Love God” series talking about Strength.
- A counselor gave me a helpful insight on anxiety: “Anxiety is when we overestimate an issue and underestimate our ability to cope with it.”
- My 6th grade daughter is in tennis. This brings back a lot of memories! I played co-ed middle school tennis too – good memories.
- I’m really excited about Watermark’s “Great Saturday” serve event the day before Easter. I love that we are practically meeting needs over Easter weekend! Becky Staal has done a tremendous job leading a team to make that happen!
- I’m also pumped for Easter Sunday. I plan on making a mess and using some props. My prayer is that people would encounter the good news of Jesus.
- We had a great time last night with friends who also adopted from Ethiopia. In fact, their daughter was at the same orphanage with our daughter at the same time! It’s a small world after all. There is a tremendous bond between adoptive families and I’m thankful for the support.
- One of my closest friends has been my good friend since I was in 2nd grade. Thankful for loyal long-lasting friends. Got to hang with him this week – good stuff!
- I turn 40 this year. Wow. Does that mean I’m almost a man?
- I just started working out again – believe me, I really need it!
- We are looking for a worship leader for Watermark. My hope is to find someone for this part time position by the summer.
- Great quote I came across again from Andy Stanley: “Simply recognizing the need for change doesn’t define leadership. The leader is the one who has the courage to act on it.” So true! I want that to be true of me.
- I need to scan more doodles in for these posts.
- I think the 80’s was the best decade for alternative music.
I feel better – thanks.