Stuff my brain is munching on:
- I enjoy Memorial Day weekend! I tend to be patriotic and I marvel at the men and women who gave their lives to secure freedom. My grandfather fought on the front lines of WWII and saw a lot of death. I’m always amazed that he lived through the battles he fought. He tells me that war is horrible and he knows from first hand experience. So, this weekend we pray for peace and we remember and honor those we’ve lost serving our country.
- Tomorrow is our final “Relationflip” week of our series. It has been fun and tomorrow I’m looking at how we use our words. Flip from hurtful to helpful words.
- One thing I’m thinking about regarding saying helpful or loving words… I believe it is very possible to say helpful/life giving words primarily for self preservation, acceptance, or to impress. In other words – I show kindness with my words toward others for ME. This is the same reason I hurt with my words… ME. I require a heart change to really speak healing and helpful words. I think it has to begin with the heart.
- Next week we begin a series entitled, “LEAP.” It is about faith and stories of faith. My hope is that God would stretch our faith.
- I finished watching the newer Battlestar Galactica series and loved it. I was a big fan of the old show and remember it vividly! I am also a sci-fi geek, but this series ranks up there with “Firefly” for character development and having an interesting story.
- My son Will turned five and is now big time in Justin Bieber. Help.
- The Detroit Tigers are driving me crazy with their streaky play. Hopefully they can put it all together and be more consistent.
- I’m enjoying helping coach my son Harrison’s baseball team. I’m trying to not live my baseball dreams through him! He enjoys it and I want to keep it that way.
- Our church family is pursuing a full time facility option. I believe this will be essential in us riding the next wave toward our mission. I’ve been praying a lot about God’s provision and protection. Hopefully we’ll hear about one option soon! This is a big faith step and I’m excited for how we’ll grow in our faith in God and one another.
- I just wrapped up another year of mentoring a student at Rosy Mound Elementary through Kid’s Hope. It was a great year and I’m proud of how my student grew and matured. Hopefully we’ll get a chance again next year. If you have an hour a week – you can make a difference! Jump into Kid’s Hope! Let me know if you’re interested or want more info.
- I need to be more regular posting here!
Have an outstanding Memorial Day weekend!
Here are some random things I’m thinking about:
- Justin Verlander threw a no-hitter! That makes me very happy and this happiness will last until they lose next. I need medication for the mood swings that the Tigers put me on.
- I get more nervous for my kids playing a sport than I ever did as a player. I also find it harder to be a good sport as a parent. All of a sudden I have compassion for the dad that fights the opposing team’s parents. Again, medication is in order.
- I’m thankful for the moms in my life. My mom, Gayle, is an outstanding mother who was very sacrificial and nurturing. My wife, is a phenominal mother who does a remarkable job caring for and loving our four kids.
- I’m also thankful for Misgana’s mother who we also remember this weekend. Without her we would not have our little Miss.
- Tomorrow I have the opportunity to teach alongside Dr. Peter Newhouse again. Pete is a great friend and has a lot of wisdom. We always have fun planning these times and I hope that tomorrow’s topic of forgiveness will be a healing experience for many.
- I believe that Jesus does change lives. He doesn’t just improve them or merely give a good example to follow – He changes lives.
- 95% of the music I listen to regularly is alternative/progressive music from the 80’s. Now I understand my dad with the Beattles and Stones.
- A quote I found this week: “Wherever there is fear, there is opportunity. Wherever there is great fear, there is great opportunity.” – Andy Stanley.
- Our Haiti Team will be flying home very very late tomorrow! So excited to hear what they experienced and how God moved in their lives!
- Thanks to all who supported and prayed for a family from our faith family who experienced a devastating loss. Every life touches lives. Every life is valuable. Every life is sacred. I was reminded to make sure every person knows that.
Have a great start to your Mother’s Day tomorrow!
Jody, me, and Lisa enjoying "Snack Time" as kids.
I think I’m going to take Saturdays and just spit out random things I’m thinking about…
So, let’s get started:
- The Detroit Tigers are finally winning and this makes me happy. I wrap way too much of my emotional well being into the Tigers. Who’s your Tiger?
- I’ve been reading the story of Jesus and asking, “How can I believe and behave like Jesus?”
- Tomorrow I’m closing out the “Love God” series talking about Strength.
- A counselor gave me a helpful insight on anxiety: “Anxiety is when we overestimate an issue and underestimate our ability to cope with it.”
- My 6th grade daughter is in tennis. This brings back a lot of memories! I played co-ed middle school tennis too – good memories.
- I’m really excited about Watermark’s “Great Saturday” serve event the day before Easter. I love that we are practically meeting needs over Easter weekend! Becky Staal has done a tremendous job leading a team to make that happen!
- I’m also pumped for Easter Sunday. I plan on making a mess and using some props. My prayer is that people would encounter the good news of Jesus.
- We had a great time last night with friends who also adopted from Ethiopia. In fact, their daughter was at the same orphanage with our daughter at the same time! It’s a small world after all. There is a tremendous bond between adoptive families and I’m thankful for the support.
- One of my closest friends has been my good friend since I was in 2nd grade. Thankful for loyal long-lasting friends. Got to hang with him this week – good stuff!
- I turn 40 this year. Wow. Does that mean I’m almost a man?
- I just started working out again – believe me, I really need it!
- We are looking for a worship leader for Watermark. My hope is to find someone for this part time position by the summer.
- Great quote I came across again from Andy Stanley: “Simply recognizing the need for change doesn’t define leadership. The leader is the one who has the courage to act on it.” So true! I want that to be true of me.
- I need to scan more doodles in for these posts.
- I think the 80’s was the best decade for alternative music.
I feel better – thanks.